Dr. Gurpreet Singh did his M.Sc (Hons.School) in Botany from Department of Botanical and Environmental Sciences, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar and Doctorate in Life Sciences (Biotechnology) from Department of Biotechnology, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar. He has done a major project entitled “Varietal Identification in Paddy (Oryza sativa L.) and Moong (Phaseolus mungo L.) by gel electrophoresis of soluble seed proteins” in his post-graduation in 2001 and his Ph.D thesis title was “Isolation and characterization of a drought modulated gene (Translation Initiation Factor 3 “Subunit g”) from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)”.
He has 12 years of teaching experience.
12 Years in Teaching
Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology
B.Sc (Hons. School), M.Sc (Hons. School), Ph.D (Life Sciences- Biotechnology)
- Received a major research project on “Studies on the effect of fungicides on the metabolic profiling on different stages of development in chickpea” for Rs 13.32 lacs from UGC New Delhi (2015-2018) (F.No. 43-115/2014 (SR)
- Completed a UGC sponsored minor research project on “Studies on effect of drought stress on antioxidant enzymes in sorghum” for Rs. 1.3 lac (Completed 2009-2011).(F.NO.8-2(285)/11(MRP/NRCB))
- Convener- University Grants Commission (UGC) sponsored National Conference on Recent Developments on Stress Tolerance and Plant Biotechnology on February 11 and 12, 2016. F.NO.6-16/2015 (Sem/NRCB)PART FILE
Gurpreet Singh and Harkamal Kaur Sahota, (2018). Impact of benzimidazole and dithiocarbamate fungicides on the photosynthetic machinery, sugar content and various antioxidative enzymes in chickpea. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 132, 166-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2018.09.001 (Impact Factor 2.718) (Citation 1).
Gurpreet Singh and Daljit Kaur (2016). Biochemical and antioxidative responses of fungicides carbendazim and mencozeb in seedlings of brassica (Brassica compestris L.). International Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 5(2), 57-62. (Citation 3).
Gurpreet Singh and Navneet Kaur (2014). Effect of cadmium stress on the protein content, lipid peroxidaton and antioxidant enzymes in okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L.). Research and Reviews in Biotechnology and Biosciences , 1(2), 37-42.
Gurpreet Singh and Nidhi Sharma. (2013) Changes in the antioxidative enzymes in response to drought stress in various cultivars of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L.). Journal of Stress Physiology and Biochemistry, 3, 139-151. (Citation 2).
Anshula Sharma and Gurpreet Singh (2013). Studies on the effect of Cu (II) ions on the antioxidant enzymes in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L) cultivars. Journal of Stress Physiology and Biochemistry, 9, 5-13. (Citation 5).
Gurpreet Singh and Ruchi Kumar. (2012). Genome wide Insilico analysis of two component signaling system in woody model plant Populus tricocarpa. Research in Plant Biology, 2, 13-23. (Citation 4).
Sandeep Singh, Gurpreet Singh, Prabhjeet Singh and Narpinder Singh (2008). Effect of Water Stress at Different Stages of Grain Development on the Characteristics of Starch and Protein of Different Wheat Varieties. Food Chemistry, 108, 130-139 (Citation 71). Impact factor: 3.334.
Gurpreet Singh, Mukesh Jain, Ritu Kulshrestha, Jitendra Pal Khurana, Sanjay Kumar, and Prabhjeet Singh. (2007). Expression analysis of genes for eukaryotic initiation factor subunit 3g (TaeIF3g) and vesicle-associated membrane protein-associated protein (TaVAP) in drought tolerant and susceptible cultivars of wheat. Plant Science, 173, 660-669. (Citation: 7). Impact factor: 2.992.
Gurpreet Singh, Adarsh Pal Vig and Ritu Varma. (2004). Varietal identification in Paddy (Oryza sativa L.) and Moong (Phaseolus mungo L.) by gel electrophoresis of soluble seed proteins. Journal of New Seeds 6 (1): 91-99 (Citation: 10).
Gurpreet Singh, Sanjay Kumar and Prabhjeet Singh (2003). A modified guanidine hydrochloride method for RNA isolation from the developing seeds of wheat. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 21 (1): 93a-93f. (Citation: 53; including one in Nature Protocols) Impact Factor 5.319.
Gurpreet Singh, Varma, Ritu and Vig, Adarsh Pal. (2002). Varietal identification of some legumes by gel electrophoresis of proteins. Seed Tech. News, 32 (1): 96.
Publishes in International/National Conferences:
- Gurpreet Singh and Paramdeep Kumar, 2016. Physiological, Biochemical and antioxidative responses of various fungicides in developing seedlings of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). International Conference On Environmental Mutagenesis, Chemical And Health 2016, GNDU Amritsar, February, 17-19, 2016.
- Harkamal Kaur, Harman Kaur, Harsharan Singh and Gurpreet Singh 2016. Role of transcription factors in abiotic stress tolerance-recent trends UGC-sponsored National Conference on Stress Tolerance and Plant Biotechnology, February 11-12, 2016
- Jaspreet Kaur, Navpreet Kaur, Paramdeep Kumar and Gurpreet Singh 2016. Effect of fungicides on plant development: an overview UGC-sponsored National Conference on Stress Tolerance and Plant Biotechnology, February 11-12, 2016.
- Ranjana Kundal and Gurpreet Singh 2016. Role of Nanbiotechnology in Plant Sciences. UGC-Sponsored National Conference on Stress Tolerance and Plant Biotechnology, February 11-12, 2016
- Gurpreet Singh and Palta, Garima. 2013. Role of Exogenous Salicylic acid in regulating various physiological and biochemical parameters under lead (Pb2+) stress in Cicer arietinum L. International conference on Plant Biotechnology, Molecular Medicine and Human Health held at Department of Genetics, University of Delhi, South Campus, New Delhi October, 18-20, 2013.
- Shweta Kaila and Gurpreet Singh 2013. Investigating the role of salicylic acid on the antioxidative profile of chickpea seedlings under nickel stress. First International and Third National Conference on Biotechnology, Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, Tirupati (A.P) June, 28-29, 2013.
- Garima Palta, and Gurpreet Singh, 2013. Perspective of Nano-biotechnology in Disease Diagnostics and Therapeutics, UGC/DBT sponsored National Conference on Medical Biotechnology , DAV college, Jalandhar February 2, 2013. (Second Prize)
- Iti Sood and Gurpreet Singh 2013. Advances of Nanobiotechnology in Neuro-therapeutics, UGC/DBT sponsored National Conference on Medical Biotechnology , DAV college, Jalandhar Februry 2, 2013.
- Atinder Ghuman, Virander Kaur and Gurpreet Singh (2012). Gel electrophoresis of soluble seed proteins as tool for identification of chickpea and sorghum cultivars. Punjab Science Congress 7-9 Feb 2012.
- Gurpreet Singh, Sanjay Kumar and Prabhjeet Singh. (2009). Molecular characterization and expression analysis of S1FA gene in wheat cultivars at International Symposium on Recent Advances in Molecular Technologies, Punjab University, Chandigarh, February, 21-22, 2009
- Gobind Ram, Guncha Batra, Gurpreet Singh and Harsharan Singh (2009). Database of prions and prion related diseases (PRION_DB) at International Symposium on Recent Advances in Molecular Technologies, Punjab University, Chandigarh, February, 21-22, 2009
- Gurpreet Singh, Mukesh Jain, Ritu Kulshrestha, Jitendra Pal Khurana, Sanjay Kumar, and Prabhjeet Singh. (2008). Expression analysis of gene implicated in protein synthesis and sorting in wheat cultivars showing differential tolerance to drought. In. polish Journal of Natural Sciences; Book of Abstracts for 9th ISSS Conference on Seed Biology, Olsztyn, Poland. July, 6-11, 2008.
- Gurpreet Singh, Adarsh Pal Vig and Ritu Varma, (2002). Varietal Identification in Paddy (Oryza sativa L.) and Moong (Phaseolus mungo L.) by gel electrophoresis of soluble seed proteins. In: VII International Workshop on Seed Biology, Universdad, Salamanca, Spain. pp. 198.
Conference(s) / Workshop(s) :
- Attended three day International workshop on “Challenges to the adoption of Biopesticides in agriculture: exploring solutions” held at International Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Cape Town, South Africa from November 27-29, 2018
- Attended one week national workshop on “insights into Biomolecular Interactions: A Biophysical Perspective” held at Centre for Data Analytics and Research, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar from February, 20, 2018 to February 26, 2018
- Attended GIAN PROGRAMME ON “Nanobiotechnology for Healthcare” held at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), KHARAGPUR (W.B) from June, 29-2017 to July 08,2017
- Attended a National level workshop on “NGS Data – Assembly and Exploration” at National Institute of Plant Genome Research (NIPGR) New Delhi on March 10-11, 2016
- Presented poster in International Conference entitled “7th Annual Convention of ABAP & International Conference on Plant Biotechnology, Molecular Medicine and Human Health” held at University of Delhi, South Campus, New Delhi from October 18-20, 2013.
- Presented paper in International Conference entitled “First International and Third National Conference on Biotechnology, Bioinformatics and Bioengineering” held at Tirupati (Andra Predesh) on 28-29 June, 2013.
- Attended UGC-Special Summer School-2012 at Academic staff College, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar from 06.2012 to 05.07.2012 (equivalent to One GOC/RC for career advancement programme)
- Attended DST-sponsored workshop on Advances in Biotechnology at TERI New Delhi from 14-19 November, 2011.
- Attended DST-SERC-sponsored school in Chronobiology-2010 at Evolutionary and Organismal Biology Unit, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore-560064 from December, 25th, 2009- Januray,7th, 2010.
- Actively participated in “International Symposium on Recent Advances in Molecular Technologies” held at Punjab University, Chandigarh from February, 21-22, 2009.
- Attended “UGC Sponsored Special Winter School” (on theme of Nano-science and Nanotechnology) at Academic Staff College, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar from 12.2008-12.1.2009 (equivalent to One GOC/RC for career advancement programme)
Guest Lectures Delivered
- Invited as Resource Person at Human Resource Development Center and School of Biotechnology, University of Jammu, Jammu to deliver a lecture on Perspective of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology in Life Sciences and Biotechnology in Refresher Course in Life Sciences on 25.03.2017
- Invited as Resource Person and delivered a lecture on the topic “Biotechnology: Concepts, Protocols and Beyond….” in “Capacity Building Programme for Biology Teachers” at Regional Training Center, Jalandhar Zone in Police DAV Public School, Jalandhar Cantt. on 02.06.2016.
- Invited as subject expert at DAV University to conduct an interview for the project Assistant in DST-SERB sponsored project entitled “Development and Utilization of Sequence Based Molecular Markers for characterization of Landraces in Horsegram Macrotyloma uniflorurn (Roxb.) on April 11, 2016.
- Invited for Guest Lecture on the topic “Prospective of Nanobiotechnology” at National Seminar on Prospective of Biotechnology in Pharmaceutical Sciences at CT Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Jalandhar on April 23rd, 2011.